my fitness blog

**stay motivated with me at my fitness and whole foods blog at www.gsgsisters.blogspot.com lets help each other get into better shape!!

Friday, April 10, 2009

Pappy's in town!!

YEAH! the miracle man came to Veags and then hopped in the car with me and drove to phoenix to stay with spence and I for awhile! What a treat and what a surprise! Dad looks so good, it was a shock to see him especially because the last time I say him he wasn't doing too good, he couldn't walk, sit/stand or do much my himself. He has worked really hard to be recovering so well. And I know if it wasn't for his determination, hard work and will to get better Dad wouldn't be doing well at all. I have to say thanks to him for being a fighter and thanks to the Dr's and my amazing family that are helping him recover.
A family portrait with all the wonderful food Dad has prepared!
Dad helped my finish my ceiling/light project which I was so grateful for because he is an expert and a professional so now the job looks extra nice and perfect. Yes I was worried to have Dad working like this but he said he could do it and he did a wonderful job. (after surgery you aren't suppose to lift anything or raise your arms above a certain point) I'm pretty sure if the Dr's and my sisters knew what he was up to they would freak out... but that's my dad always bending the rules so he can break records and recover faster. Nothing slows him down for too long!
YUP! he even jumped in the freezing cold un heated pool...the water was like river water...freezing. I barely put my big toe in while he jumped in and gave his heart a little shock!!
Dad went home yesterday and already the house seems really empty! I miss him already..is that possible...yes it is. Dad has gone through so much the last couple years and it amazes me still how well he copes and handles all the obstacles thrown in his way. He is such a healthy guy and he makes it a point to eat right, exercise and keep himself spiritually minded, yet he keeps getting obstacles thrown his way, but he does overcome them. When I think of my Dad I think of a guy that can do anything. It is so hard to see your strong powerful dad sick, but the way he handles all his lose himself makes me step up to the plate and handle everything better. He is such a perfect example of how to handle struggles and overcome them, the good and the bad. "Come what may and love it" that's what my dad says.
Jo picked dad up from the airport yesterday and took him to the hospital for his follow-up due to a significant murmur that isn't closing. To dad's surprise he is extremely famous at the VA. (he was discussed in their grand rounds which is when Dr's get together to discuss amazing and unique cases) All the techs and Dr's kept saying, "you're that guy!!??" The Dr's had never seen a case like Dad's before and were shocked to see him doing so well. (even though he will be on antibiotics for another 3months which is unheard of, unless you literally have a heart transplant, that's how severe his blood infection was/is)
He is known as the miracle guy at the VA. Dad's echo didn't come back so swell so they will be changing his medications and doing a follow-up in 3wks, they may have to re due the surgery because of the significant regurgitation and lung fluid. But once again my dad has taken everything with a grain of salt and doesn't doubt or feel sorry for himself. I am proud of my dad and want to strive to be more like him. He is so patient with everything and everyone...even now people are always saying, "you look so great!" but deep down it takes my dad every possible effort to simply walk around without getting dizzy, it takes every possible effort to make sure he eats even when he has no appetite, it takes every possible effort to simply make it through the day, but since he smilies while he does it people don't realize all the pain he is going through.
So I am so thankful that my dad took the time to come stay with us, we had a great time and made some wonderful new memories together! I love you Dad and you are the best Dad and best friend a girl could have imagine and hope for.
Spence and I love you so much!

3 comments:

Kemp Kuties said...

That Pappy, always bending the rules :) I want to see the finished product! Dad needed to be with you this week; you have a spirit that revives and strengthens others. Love you!

Unknown said...

I bet it was so great to have your dad there!! What a fun last couple of weeks!!

Heather Nelson said...

Carly you're adorable. How cool to have such an awesome relationship with your dad. What would he do without you? (No really??) Your dad truly is a miracle man. I love ya!